Elizabeth Owolabi, PhD
Associate Professor of ResearchDirector of Institutional Research and Assessment
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Owolabi is an Associate Professor of Research and is the Director of Institutional Research at Concordia University Chicago. She teaches RES 6600 Research in Education and has been a member of Concordia-Chicago's faculty since 2011. Her areas of expertise include research methods, assessment of student learning, program review and evaluation, organizational development and leadership, curriculum and instruction and adult education. Prior to CUC, Dr. Owolabi served at the University of Illinois, College of Lake County and Oakton Community College.
- PhD, Instructional Technology, Wayne State University; Detroit, Mich.
- MA, Education; University of British Columbia; Vancouver, British Columbia.
- BHE, Home Economics; Education; University of British Columbia; Vancouver, British Columbia.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- "Using Qualitative Research to Assess and Improve the Quality of First Year Experience," Assessment Institute, Indiana University-Purdue University; Indianapolis, Ind., October, 2015.
- "Addressing Measurement Challenges in the Use of Rubrics to Evaluate General Education Outcomes," (with T. Bartholomew and B. Venzke), Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association; Chicago, April, 2015.
- "Assessment Journey of a Mid-size Liberal Arts Institution," AALHE Conference; Albuquerque, N.M.; June, 2014.
- "Convergence of Institutional Research and Assessment in an Era of Data-Driven Decision Making," Presentation at the HLC Annual Conference; Chicago, April, 2014.
- "Concordia University Chicago Final Consortium Report," Webinar presentation with the Council of Independent Colleges (CIC); Washington, DC, November, 2013.
- "Analyzing and Using Existing General Education Assessment Results While Creating a New Process to Assess General Education," (with M. Reineck and J. Zillman); Poster Presentation at the Council of Independent Colleges Conference; Washington, D.C., July, 2012.
- "Assessing General Education at Concordia University Chicago," Presentation at the Summer Assessment Conference at James Madison University; Harrisonburg, Va., July, 2012.
- "Creating a Sustainable Culture of Assessment," Presentation at the 2nd Annual Assessment Conference & Share Fair; Harper Community College, Palatine, Ill., March, 2011.
- "Creating a Sustainable Culture of Assessment," Assessment Institute; Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis, Ind., October, 2010.
- "Creating a Sustainable Culture of Assessment," Presentation at the State of Illinois 14th Annual Assessment Fair, for Community Colleges; Illinois Valley Community College, Oglesby, Ill., March, 2010.
- "Establishing Continuing Professional Education Programs," (with M. Charuhas); Presentation at the National Council for Continuing Education and Training Conference; Jacksonville, Fla., 2005.
- "The Leader as a Positive Change Agent," Presentation at the Governor's Conference on Aging, Chicago, January, 2005.
Awards and Honors
- Julia M. Duckwall Scholarship for the Annual Conference of Association for Institutional Research; Orlando, Florida; May, 2014.
- Illinois State Board of Higher Education (IBHE), Illinois Longitudinal Data System (ILDS) Technical Assistance Grant, subaward from DePaul University Chicago, to Concordia University Chicago, 2013.
- Illinois State Board of Higher Education (IBHE), The P-20 Longitudinal Data System Program, subaward from DePaul University Chicago to Concordia University Chicago, 2012 to 2013.
- Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE), Paraprofessional Development Grant, to the College of Lake County in response to The No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 which stated that paraprofessionals must show competency, 2002-2005.
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for Institutional Research
- Illinois Association for Institutional Research
- Peer Corps Reviewer for the Higher Learning Commission (HLC)
- Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education
- Chicago Area Assessment Group