Rachel Eells, PhD
Dean, College of Arts of Science
College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Eells teaches Psychology of Gender, Behavior Assessment and Management, Development classes, Creativity Seminar, The Noetic Experience through SBS, Interface Between Psychology and Christianity. Among her areas of research interest are educational psychology, efficacy, and meta-analysis.
For 12 years, she taught in Lutheran elementary schools. She has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2007 and the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences since 2015.
- PhD, Educational Psychology, Loyola University; Chicago.
- MEd, Teaching the Gifted and Talented, University of Arkansas at Little Rock; Little Rock, Ark.
- BSEd, Elementary Special Education, Concordia University Nebraska; Seward, Neb.
Academic and Professional Highlights
Presentations & Publications
- "Educational psychology for non-teachers: A discussion of course objectives and instructional strategies." Roundtable presented at the meeting of the National Institute of Teaching of Psychology, St. Pete Beach, FL. Butler, A.G. & Eells, R.J. (2014, January).
- "Student perceptions of bullying at a private, faith-based university campus." Paper presented at the meeting of Mid-Western Educational Research Association, Evanston, IL. Eells, R.J. & Pollom, A. (2013, November).
- "The effect of media portrayals on undergraduate beliefs about student teachers." Paper presented at the meeting of Mid-Western Educational Research Association, Evanston, IL. Wickland, T. & Eells, R.J. (2013, November).
- "Educational psychology for non-teachers: Student suggestions for course development." Poster presented at the meeting of American Educational Research Association, San Francisco, CA. Eells, R. J. (2012, April).
- "Collective teacher efficacy and student achievement: A meta-analysis." Paper presented at the meeting of American Educational Research Association, Vancouver, B.C. Eells, R. J. (2011, November).
- "Negative rhetoric and the corrosion of collective teacher efficacy." Paper presented at the meeting of American Educational Studies Association, St. Louis, MO. Eells, R. J. & Renn, P. (2011, November).
- "Safe spaces and sacred places: Finding the conversation." Paper presented at the meeting of American Educational Studies Association, St. Louis, MO. Eells, R.J. & Venzke, B. (2011, October).
- “Shaping Identities Through Exploration, Self-Awareness, and Critical Thought: Psychology and Emerging Adulthood” at the October 2011 Annual Conference of the Association of Lutheran College Faculties in Austin, Texas. Dr. Eells also delivered a day long in-service entitled “Designing Assessments That Work” for the teachers at Christ Lutheran Church and School in Little Rock, Ark. in late October 2011.
- "Research participation for Introduction to Psychology students". Poster presented at the Society for the Teaching of Psychology Best Practices Conference: Teaching Introduction to Psychology conference. Eells, R.J. (2011).
- A meta-analysis of the relationship between collective teacher efficacy and student achievement (Doctoral Dissertation). Retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Database. (AAT 3469968). Doering, S. & Eells, R. (2010, June 14).
- "Toward a common Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod philosophy of education." Lutheran Education Journal. Retrieved January 5, 2012, from http://lej.cuchicago.edu/2010/06/
- Recent Service to teachers: LEA Convocation Sectional Presenter:
- Gender in Our Classrooms October, 2013
- Reading Conference Sectional Co-Presenter (With S. Doering): Brave Writing October, 2013.
- Early Childhood Conference Sectional Co-Presenter (With S. Doering): Brave Writing August, 2013
- NID Teacher’s Conference October 2012 Sectional Presenter: Promoting Efficacy in Our Schools Sectional Co-Presenter (with J. Vargas):
- Test Anxiety CLEF Networking Conference August 2012 Sectional Presenter: Addressing and Reducing Test Anxiety Sectional Co-Presenter (with M. Morkert):
- Gender Issues in the Classroom Christ Lutheran School October 2011 Inservice Presenter:
- Designing Assessments that Work CLEF Networking Conference August 2011 Sectional Presenter:
- Designing Assessments that Work CUC Fall Faculty Seminar August 2011 Workshop Presenter with B. Venzke:
- Who Are They and How Do We Teach Them? CLEF Networking Conference August 2010 Sectional Presenter: Differentiation