Christopher S. Reigstad, PhD
Associate Professor of Biology
College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Reigstad teaches a variety of science courses at Concordia-Chicago, including Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, and Concepts in Chemistry & Biology. His areas of research and expertise include microbiology, mammalian physiology and STEM education.
Prior to joining the faculty at CUC, he completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden), worked as a Senior Research Fellow at the Mayo Clinic, and served as Community Faculty at Metropolitan State University in St. Paul, MN.
- PhD, Biology and Biomedical Sciences - Washington University; St. Louis, MO
- BS, Biology, University of Minnesota - Minneapolis, MN
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Reigstad C.S., Linden D.R., Szurszewski J.H., Sonnenburg J.L., et al. (2016). Correlated gene expression encoding serotonin (5-HT) receptor 4 and 5-HT transporter in proximal colonic segments of mice across different colonization states and sexes. Neurogastroenterology and Motility. Sep; 28(9):1443-8.
- Reigstad, C.S., Salmonson C.E., Rainey J.F. 3rd, Szurszewski J.H., et al. (2015). Gut microbes promote colonic serotonin production through an effect of short-chain fatty acids on enterochromaffin cells. The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) Journal. Apr; 29(4):1395-403.
- Reigstad, C.S. and Kashyap, P.C. (2013). Beyond phylotyping: understanding the impact of gut microbiota on host biology. Neurogastroenterology and Motility. May; 25(5):358-72.
- Caesar, R., Reigstad, C.S., Backhed, H.K., Reinhardt, C., Lunden, G.O., and Backhed, F. (2012). Gut-derived lipopolysaccharide augments adipose tissue macrophage accumulation but is not required for impaired glucose or insulin tolerance in mice. Gut. Dec; 61(12):1701-7.
- Reigstad C.S. and Backhed F. (2010). Microbial regulation of SAA3 expression in mouse colon and adipose tissue. Gut Microbes. Jan; 1(1):55-57.
- Muccioli, G.G., Naslain, D., Backhed, F., Reigstad, C.S., et al. (2010). The endocannabinoid system links gut microbiota to adipogenesis. Molecular Systems Biology. Jul 27; 6:392.
- Velagapudi, V.R., Hezaveh R., Reigstad C.S., et al. (2010). The gut microbiota modulates host energy and lipid storage in mice. Journal of Lipid Research. May; 51(5):1101-12.
- Reigstad, C.S., Lunden, G.O., Felin, J., and Backhed, F. (2009). Regulation of Serum Amyloid A3 (SAA3) in Mouse Colonic Epithelium and Adipose Tissue by the Intestinal Microbiota. PLoS ONE. 4 (6):e5842.
- Reinhardt, C., Reigstad, C.S., and Backhed, F. (2009). The intestinal microflora during infancy and its implication for obesity. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition. 48 (3):249-56.
- Reigstad, C.S., Hultgren, S.J., and Gordon, J.I. (2007). Functional genomic studies of UPEC and host urothelial cells when intracellular bacterial communities are assembled. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 282 (29): 21259-21267.
- Chen, S.L., Hung, C.S., Xu, J., Reigstad, C.S., et al. (2006). Identification of genes subject to positive selection in uropathogenic strains of Escherichia coli: A comparative genomics approach. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 103(15): 5677-5982.
Awards and Honors
- National Science Foundation Award: 1612767, Principal Investigator, 2016-Present
- Wenner-Gren Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2007-2009
- NIH Predoctoral Fellowship in Genomics, 2004-2006