Claudia Santin, Ed.D.
Dean, College of Business
Professor of Leadership
College of Business
Dr. Claudia Santin has established a reputation as a pragmatic change agent and effective team builder. She joined the College of Business at Concordia-Chicago as Dean in 2014. Since becoming dean, she has led a series of initiatives seeking to provide high-quality programs for graduate and undergraduate students, as well as professional development opportunities for lifelong learners. Among these initiatives are implementing a College-wide assessment program, adapting the MBA for a new and global society, developing a Master’s in Arts in Innovation and Entrepreneurship, launching an innovative doctorate in business administration (DBA), leading the College’s strategic planning process, establishing a diverse Business Advisory Committee, creating a Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, increasing the global outreach of the College, as well as increasing international student presence in campus-based programs.
Dr. Santin’s extensive higher education experience encompasses serving as a university president, provost, and academic vice president. While president at Northcentral University (NCU), the School of Business received ACBSP accreditation-the first 100% online university to achieve this designation. While at NCU, she led the development and HLC approval of the PhD, EdD, and Master’s programs in sports, higher education, organizational, and educational leadership, expanded global partnerships, and significantly increased online enrollments. At Nova Southeastern University, Dr. Santin held a series of progressively demanding positions. She served as the director of marketing, an assistant dean of recruitment and enrollment, and an associate dean at the Wayne Huizenga College of Business and Entrepreneurship. Santin led the corporate, domestic, and international recruitment effort, starting the first corporate MBA in Shanghai, PRC. After a national search, Dr. Santin was appointed dean of leadership studies at the Fischler College.
In these successive leadership roles, she blended the components of a superb higher education experience, especially in the field of online delivery systems, with the demands of both the domestic and international marketplace, consistently achieving the delicate balance of quality and profit. Her research, teaching, and consulting have focused on leadership, innovation in higher education, strategic positioning and visioning, mentoring, systems thinking, and developing human capital. As an early adopter of online delivery, she is considered an expert in the field of online teaching and learning. Dr. Santin has served as a dissertation chair for over two decades. She has extensive international academic program development experience, and has consulted for a variety of organizations including universities, not for profit organizations, and the federal government.
Dr. Santin pursues ongoing professional development as well as maintains a consistent schedule of conference presentation and publication. She has received awards for excellence in teaching and has earned certificates and post-master’s credits in online teaching and learning, corporate strategy, and marketing management. Dr. Santin has been a member of CUC’s faculty since 2008, and is a tenured professor of leadership. She was integral in the online development of the University graduate leadership programs, and for designing new and innovative graduate programs.
- Ed.D., Higher Education Leadership - Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL
- MBA Certificate, Marketing Management - Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL
- Graduate Certificate, Distance Learning - Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL
- Certificate, Corporate Strategy - University of Chicago; Chicago, IL
- M.A., Counseling and Personal Services - College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
- B.A., Psychology - College of New Jersey, Ewing, NJ
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Santin, C. presented “Cougar Tank: Enhancing Student Learning Through Student-Led Programming,” (with D. Sendziol), at the ACBSP Conference 2019-The Art of Developing Entrepreneurial Leaders, In Houston, Texas, in June 2019.
- Santin, C. presented “Developing Leader Behavior to Effectively Balance Exploration and Exploitation and Create Organizational Capacity: Critical Factors to the Innovation Process,” (with J. Groh) at The 19thInternational Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations, at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC. In February 2019.
- Santin, C. presented, "Pragmatic Energy for Change Leadership: How Leaders Address Innovation Uncertainty,” (with J. Groh) at the 18th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations, at the University of Konstanz. Konstanz, Germany, in March 2018.
- Santin, C. presented “Innovative International Partnerships in Higher Education,” on September 2017, at The Global Leadership Forum, at Google Headquarters. New York, NY.
- Santin, C. presented, “Infusing Diversity in Business Management Education through Strategic and Innovative International Partnerships.” [Virtual Presentation], April 2017, at the 17th International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations, at Charles Darwin University in Darwin, Australia.
- Santin, C. presented the lecture, “Creativity as a Catalyst for Innovation,” to students enrolled in the CUC/HUEB cooperative program at Hebei University of Economics and Business (HUEB) in Shijiazhuang, China on May 15, 2016.
- Santin, C. presented, “How to Facilitate Learning for International Business Students,” On May 14, 2016, at the Symposium on International Human Capital Management at the Shijiazhuang Botanical Garden Conference Center in China, hosted by Hebei University of Economics and Business (HUEB).
- Santin, C. presented the paper, “Mentoring as a Catalyst for Organizational Innovation” (with D. Blaess and K. Hollywood) at The 8th Annual Mentoring Conference-New Perspectives in Mentoring: A Quest for Leadership Excellence &Innovation, at the University of New Mexico, in October 2015.
- Santin, C. presented the paper, “Holistic Coaching to Support and Sustain Innovation: A Model for Maximizing Performance and Productivity” with K. Hollywood and Dr. Blaess) at The 8th Annual Mentoring Conference-New Perspectives in Mentoring: A Quest for Leadership Excellence & Innovation, at the University of New Mexico, in October 2015.
- Driving Innovation Through Faculty Involvement(with P. Bucchi, K. Hollywood, and D. Blaess). 24thAnnual (2015) International Leadership Conference in Seattle, Washington.
- Creating and Sustaining a Learner‐Centered Institutional Culture (with K. Hollywood & D. Blaess). 24th Annual (2015) International Leadership Conference in Seattle, Washington.
- Driving Innovation Through Faculty Involvement" (with P. Bucchi, K. Hollywood and D. Blaess). 24th Annual (2015) International Leadership Conference in Seattle, Washington.
- "Creating and Sustaining a Learner-Centered Institutional Culture" (with K. Hollywood & D. Blaess). 24th Annual (2015) International Leadership Conference in Seattle, Washington.
- “Championing Diversity and Inclusion to Create a Culture of Innovation” (With K. Hollywood, and D. Blaess). Fifteenth (February, 2015) International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations at the University of California-Berkeley.
- “Effective E-Mentoring for a Diversity of Doctoral Scholars” (with K. Hollywood and D. Blaess). Fifteenth (February, 2014) International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations at the Said Business School at the University of Oxford.
- “A Mandate for Change for Innovation in Higher Education” (with K. Hollywood and D. Blaess). Fourteenth (2014) International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations at the Said Business School at the University of Oxford.
- “Maximizing Personnel Using Coaching Techniques” (with K. Hollywood and D. Blaess). Fourteenth (2014) International Conference on Knowledge, Culture, and Change in Organizations at the Said Business School at the University of Oxford.
- Presentations prior to 2014 not listed.
- Santin, C. (2019). The paper, “Cultivating Ethical Business Leaders: Building on the Lutheran Liberal Arts Tradition” was published in the Lutheran Education Journal 155(2).
- Santin, C. (2018,). The paper, “Optimizing the Development of Practitioners into Educators in Chiropractic College Settings: An Integrative Literature Review” with Bloom, Blaess, & Hollywood,” in the World Federation of Chiropractic/Association of Chiropractic College Education Conference Proceedings, London, England. (2018) Journal of Chiropractic Education, 32(2), 160-162.
- Santin, C. (2017, October). The paper, “Strategies, Stages, and Opportunities for Maximizing Mentoring Relationships,” was published and presented (with L. Bloom, K. Hollywood, & D. Blaess), in the proceedings of the 10th Annual International Conference, A Decade of Cultivating an Inclusive Mentoring Community: Developmental Networks for Innovation, Achievement, and Transformation, at the University New Mexico, in Albuquerque, NM.
Santin, C. (2017). The paper, "A Framework and Model for Doctoral Mentor and Student Success” was presented and published in the proceedings of 23rd European Mentoring and Coaching Conference in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- “Holistic Mentoring and Coaching to Sustain Organizational Change and Innovation” (with Blaess, Hollywood, & Bloom). (2016, May). Creighton Journal of Interdisciplinary Leadership, 2(1). pp. 32-46.
- The paper, “The Internationalization of Higher Education” (with B. Dellegrazie) was published in the May 2016 proceedings of The Symposium on International Human Capital Management hosted by Hebei University of Economics and Business (HEUB) in Shijizhuang, China.
- “MBA Curriculum Innovation: Focus on Ethics and Social Responsibility” (with Bucchi, P.) (2016). Journal of Business Leadership Today, (JOBLT), 7(4)
- "The Role of Servant Leadership in Developing Human Capital (with Bucchi, P.) (2015). Journal of Business Leadership Today Leadership (JOBLT), 10.
- “Advancing Innovation through Faculty Entrepreneurship” (with Bucchi, P.). (2015). Journal of Contemporary Educational Leadership, 6(2).
- "A Challenge for Higher Education: Preparing Competent Global Leaders" (with Hollywood, K & Blaess, D). (2014) Management Education: An International Journal, 13(3), 13-22.
“Creating a Culture of Innovation: Diversity and Inclusion as Drivers.”Journal of Business Leadership Today (JOBLT), September 2014.
“Creating a Common Language for Innovation in Higher Education” (with Bucchi, P.) Journal of Contemporary Educational Leadership (JOCEL), July 2014.
- Publications prior to 2014 not listed.
Awards and Honors
- Chi Sigma Iota
- Delta Mu Delta
- Sigma Beta Delta
- Concordia University Chicago Commencement Speaker
- MBA Faculty of the Year
- Business in the Tri-City Excellence Award, 2007
- Leadership America Woman Innovator
- Woman on the Move in Education, 2001
- Excellence in Business Award, 2000 & 1998
- Distinguished Dissertation, 1994
- American Society of Training and Development Leadership Award, 1990
- Graduate Class Salutatorian, 1987
- Certification received in Systems Thinking, Mapping, and Leadership at Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 2019.