500th Anniversary of the Reformation
Join Concordia University Chicago in a Celebration of the 500th Anniversary
of the Lutheran Reformation
“Enduring Faith, Abiding Grace, Abounding Love”
Concordia-Chicago is excited to mark this anniversary with a series of engaging events that explore the Reformation and its impact on theology, education, art, history, vocation, the Church, culture, society and the future of global Christianity.
- Germany & The Reformation: Luther and Bach - Tour of Germany hosted by CUC’s President Rev. Dr. Daniel L. Gard
October 5-18, 2016
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Observance - Rev. Dr. John Nunes presents
“From Martin to Martin to You”
January 16, 2017
- Reformation 500 Symposium
March 20, 2017
- Martin Luther: The Idea That Changed the World - Movie Screening
April 18, 2017
- Visit by Bodo Ramelow, Minister President of Thuringia, Germany
May 18, 2017
- Johann Sebastian Bach's Clavierübung, Part III Performances
March - October, 2017
- Let the Books Tell the Story: J.S. Bach’s Bible and Reformation Treasures
October 8 - November 5, 2017
Exhibition Opening: October 8 including a performance of Bach’s Clavierübung, Part III, in the Chapel
- Reformation 500 Celebration Day - A family event for the Northern Illinois District and area congregations.
October 28, 2017
REGISTRATION NOW OPEN - Reserve Your Spot Now
- The Reformation at 500: An Interdenominational Conversation - Key leaders of major church bodies discuss points of divergence and convergence among the three historic branches emerging from the Reformation controversies
October 30, 2017
REGISTRATION REQUIRED - OVERFLOW SEATING AVAILABLE
- Reformation Vespers - Featuring J. S. Bach’s Reformation Cantata “Gott der Herr ist Sonn und Schild“ BWV 79 With Aestas Consort & members of the Concordia Chamber Orchestra Soloists: Nathalie Colas (soprano), Suzanne Rovani (mezzo soprano), Aaron Wardell (baritone) Maurice Boyer, conductor Steven Wente, organist
October 31, 2017
Join with us in marking the seminal event of our Church and one of the most important movements in human history.
Sacred Art Honoring Reformation Heritage
The University has commissioned two sacred artistic pieces to be permanently installed in the narthex of the Chapel of our Lord: a painting and a baptismal font. These pieces will aesthetically inspire and spiritually edify all who enter our sacred place of worship and prayer. Learn more about this effort and how you can help continue the Reformation's legacy at CUC.
LCMS Reformation News and Resources
Learn more about the Reformation, it's history and influence, as well as upcoming events in the LCMS at the official Reformation website for the LCMS www.lutheranreformation.org Access a wide variety of educational and media resources including an educational blog, children's materials, Spanish resources, bibles studies and more.
Keep coming back to this page as we continue to develop a full calendar of events and other Reformation resources pages.
Reformation 500: A Historic Overview - Rev. Dr. Jeff Leininger provides historical context to the Reformation's effect on modern day religion, politics, society and culture.
Reformation 500: Concordia-Chicago Events - Rev. Dr. Jeff Leininger discusses the university's exciting event series celebrating the 500th anniversary of the Reformation