Concordia Experience


Residential Life FAQs

What furniture is included in the residential hall rooms?

Each of our residential hall rooms provide:

  • 2 loftable or bunkable twin beds
  • Mattresses for each bed
  • 2 desks w/chairs
  • 2 five drawer dressers
  • 1 waste paper basket
  • Telephone with personal voicemail
  • Free cable television access through the campus cable network
  • Free Internet access

In addition, each residential floor has the following:

  • A furnished floor lounge
  • A microwave
  • A vacuum
  • An ironing board
What size are our mattresses?

Our mattresses are 36”x80” and require extra long twin sheets. 

What are the rooms in the halls like?

Kohn and Lindemann Hall: Each hall consists of three floors. The buildings are attached to Addison Hall, the main administrative building on campus. They are standard halls; 15-40 residents per floor, with a community bathroom/showers/sinks, and a furnished central common area.  

David and Jonathan Hall: Are very popular with the University's upperclassmen. Located on the west side of campus, David and Jonathan halls are set up in suite style housing.  Every two rooms are connected by a bathroom that those four residents share. The hall set up is standard with anywhere from 15-30 residents per floor. Each floor has a separate furnished lounge with television and DVD/VCR.  

Mary Martha Hall: Is another hall popular with upperclassmen students. Located on the east side of campus near the library, Koehneke Community Center (KCC), and Krentz Hall, Mary Martha is another standard style hall. Mary Martha is similar in style to Kohn, Lindemann, Brohm, Krauss (KLBK), but each room in Mary Martha has its own sink. In addition, Mary Martha has several three person rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Each floor has a shared “hyper lounge” located centrally between the North and South areas of the building.  

Gross Hall: is the only hall on campus that is air conditioned so it is popular among many of our residents. Located behind Mary Martha hall, and across from the Library Café, Gross Hall is constructed in a “cluster style” of housing. Each cluster has seven rooms (14 residents) that share a bathroom, sink and shower space. In addition, each cluster has a furnished lounge with television and DVD/VCR. Floors have between one and three clusters per floor with separate entrances.  

What is it like living in a residential hall on campus?

Living in a residential hall is similar to any other type of community living you might have had. It requires respect for others, patience, and a willingness to communicate for it to be a great experience. Most times in the hall you’ll love being a part of the community—hanging out with friends, studying, watching a movie or playing video games, participating in a floor program—all contribute to making your living experience in the halls a great one. Other times might be more challenging—a disagreement over noise level, a conflict between roommates, and the breakup of a relationship—all are likely realities of life in a community setting that you will encounter. The secret to success in the hall is how you choose to address these issues. Living in the halls can be one of the most rewarding times of your college experience if you invest the proper energies into it.

Do I share a bathroom?

All our halls, except David and Jonathon (DJ) halls, have community bathrooms; however, even in DJ you are sharing a bathroom with at least three other students. Even though you are sharing a bathroom, be aware of what the "community" style means. You will not be in a group shower like you might recall from high school gym class or using doorless toilet stalls. Privacy continues to be available in our bathrooms, with separate shower stalls and toilet stalls.

Can I have a loft in my room?

The beds provided by the university are both bunkable and loftable. We do not allow students to build their own lofts for this reason. The decision to bunk or loft beds must be agreed upon by both roommates. Bunking/Lofting pins are available from your residential life staff member on the floor. Residential life does not provide assistance in bunking or lofting the beds. Although, it has been our experience that if you ask, you'll find a ready supply of individuals that are willing to help. If you choose to bunk or loft your bed, you might be required to unbunk or loft your beds at the time of hall close at the end of the year.

Is there a housing deposit?

Each student, when applying for housing is required to make a housing deposit. For new students, the deposit is $200 and for returning students, the deposit is $50. The deposit is applied to the final cost of the room and board and is not an additional charge to the student's account.

Should I have Property insurance?

The University can assume no responsibility for loss of, theft of, or damage to, the personal belongings of residents. Each resident is urged to make sure that his/her property is adequately insured against such perils.

When do I sign up for housing?

New students are eligible to apply for housing  as soon as they have submitted their tuition deposit to the University. The application for housing is available on Concordia Connect.

Returning students can apply for housing during the Housing Reapplication Process which takes place on campus in the Spring. To help students prepare and guide them through this process, several notifications will be distributed. For students who are eligible for and seeking a single room, the single room lottery will occur after the end of the Spring semester. Students awarded a single room will be notified via their CUC email.

If I withdrawal from housing, do I receive a refund?

If a withdrawal from housing occurs, the reimbursements occur according to the following timeline:

  • New and returning students that withdrawal from housing prior their move-in date will be refunded their housing deposit in its entirety.  Anyone that withdrawals from housing, in violation of their housing agreement, after they have moved in to housing will be assessed a $200 cancellation fee.  Any student that is removed from campus housing and must withdrawal due to a conduct related issue or sanction will not receive any refund for housing unless approved by the Dean of Students. 
  • Full reimbursement:  As established by the housing agreement, students that withdrawal their housing application prior to occupancy, or the by the end of the first week of classes for either semester, are eligible to a full reimbursement of paid charges, minus the $200 cancellation fee.  If any meals or cougar cash was used, then students would be charged for that usage accordingly.
  • 50% reimbursement: As established by the housing agreement, any student that withdrawals from housing after the first week of classes, but prior to the end of the 8 week mark of the semester is eligible for a 50% reimbursement of room and board charge for the semester, minus the $200 cancellation fee. 
  • No reimbursement: As established by the housing agreement, any student withdrawing from housing, after the 8 week mark of the semester (the exception being for hardship situations) will have no reimbursement in their room or board charge for the semester and will be charged a $200 cancellation fee.
How do I select my meal plan?

Meals plans are selected during the housing reapplication process. Incoming freshman will select their meal plan during their Jump Start, summer orientation session. During the school year students may change their meal plan at anytime during the first two weeks of each semester by contacting the department. 

Can I request a particular residential hall?

Every effort is made during the housing application process for both first year and returning students to accommodate their housing requests, space permitting.

Is there an order of preference in the housing process?

Freshman are given preference on a first come, first serve basis for space in RE communities since they are all living in the same area on campus. From time to time, a need to change housing set up might require us to change the preference list to reflect housing accommodation. Returning students receive preference based on credit hour completion and class status.

What about parking on campus?

Anyone planning to have a vehicle parked on campus over night needs to register their vehicle with Campus Security. Street parking is prohibited by the village of River Forest and will result in ticketing and possibly towing at the owners expense.

What if I want to move off campus?

All full-time freshmen, sophomore and junior status students are required to live in Concordia residence halls. Degree-seeking students taking less than 12 semester hours in a 16-week semester (part-time students) are considered ineligible for campus housing but exceptions will be considered (subject to housing availability) on a case-by-case basis. Concordia University Chicago, under its parietal rule (for bond revenue projects), reserves the right at any future dates to require all students to live in University housing.

Exceptions from the University Housing Policy

All students, except seniors, seeking an exception to the University Housing Policy must submit to the Office of the Dean of Students or the Director of Housing and have approved an Application for Exemption from University Housing Requirement.  The document is available for download on Concordia Connect.  Exceptions to the required housing policy are:

  1. Full-time senior students [ 90 or more credit hours earned],
  2. Students that are transferring to the university with at least 30 earned credit hours of academic credit in a collegiate setting and having resided on their own for at least the previous semester prior to enrollment,
  3. The student is living with parent(s) or legal guardian(s) and commuting to campus from that residence,
  4. The student is enrolling following a discharge, having served in the active military (DD214),
  5. The student can claim “independent” designation as defined by federal aid requirements and standards,
  6.  The student is married,
  7. The student, because of a disability, provides the college with appropriate documentation for reasonable accommodations that the university is unable to provide,
  8. The student is twenty one years of age at or before the first day of the semester of enrollment,
  9. The student has children or is the one that provides direct care for a legal guardian,
  10. Due to extreme financial hardship condition based on similar guidelines for Financial Aid, or
  11. Student has experienced personal hardship that will be aided by an exemption to housing.
Is there married housing available?

Married student housing will no longer be available on campus without the prior approval of the Assistant Dean of Students for Residential Life and dependent on available space.

What if I'd like to get a single room?

Single Rooms

Single rooms are awarded through lottery, if space permits, to those that apply for single rooms. This lottery will occur until July when the majority of double occupancy needs have been met. To be eligible for the single room lottery a student must have senior standing or be a graduate student, during the time of occupancy, and have a Single Room Application on file with the Department of Residential Life by July 1st, prior to the beginning of the Fall, occupying semester, or by December 1st, prior to beginning of the Spring occupying semester.  Those that are awarded a single room will be contacted by the Department of Residential Life via their CUC email no later than August 1st, to begin occupancy in the Fall Semester, or by December 20th, to begin occupancy in the Spring Semester.  Those students awarded a single room will have an additional charge for accommodations included with their room and board charge on their student account. 

Medical Single Rooms

Students that require single room living options, at the request of their physician, for existing health issues are awarded single rooms based on appropriate ADA guidelines.  Prior to receiving a medical single room, the student in need must have a Medical Single Room Approval Form, completed by their attending physician that is on file with the Department of Residential Life.  Medically required singles do not have an additional charge associated with them.

What does a Resident Assistant do?

Each floor on our campus has a residential assistant. A resident assistant is a student that was selected and provided training to serve as a community builder, assistant, and director on a floor and in our residential halls. Their primary role is that of building community among floor residents. This is done through intentional activities and programs that aid students in developing socially, spiritually, physically, and mentally. Resident assistants also are a part of a revolving "on-call" duty schedule that is shared by all RA's in a building. In this capacity, sometimes RA's have to help educate our students on policies and conduct in the halls, aid in a crisis response, or assist a student in need. Your RA is one of the best resources that you have on campus and they are there to help you in any way necessary.

What does a Resident Director do?

Resident Directors are fulltime professional staff members that live in the halls and supervise our resident assistants. Each RD also takes part in a secondary on-call throughout the entire year and helps respond to major incidents on campus or in our halls. Furthermore, Resident Directors help direct the overall management of their residential hall and assist in overseeing addition projects and programs for residential life. Each RD is assigned an additional assignment in another area of campus where they give half of their time. These include, Learning Assistance, Campus Intramural and Recreational Sports, the Counseling Center and Freshman Residential Experience.

Who are Community Residential Experience Mentors?

A Community Residential Experience Mentor is an upperclassman student in good standing with the University that is selected to live on a floor of a residential hall. This Mentor is dedicated to assisting all students, expecially first-year students with adjusting to University life. Mentors plan programs and meet with students in order to ensure that their transition to college is going smoothly.

How do I get my mail?

Every student is issued a mailbox, which is located in the basement of the KCC near the post office.

Can I request a particular roommate?

Residential Life attempts to allow students to choose whom they will be rooming with. When completing the housing application or reapplication process, a space is provided to write in your desired roommate. For freshmen students, many find someone during their summer Jump Start and stop by the residential life table to let us know so we can add them to the application to room together.

When do I find out who my roommate is?

New students will receive communication about their housing placement and roommate information within a week or two of their registered orientation session, Jump Start. For those attending Jump Start later in the summer, their housing placement and roommate information will be sent to in mid-July.

Returning students, that have already gone through the reapplication process in the Spring will receive an email before the end of May with their roommate and housing information.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?

Roommate disputes do occur and at times, a difference in living preference or personalities might be so great that issues arise. IN ALL CASES, residential life first encourages a discussion between the two roommates regarding the issues that might be creating conflict. If you experience difficulty with your roommate, discuss all the issues, share your thoughts and opinions, listen, and try to stay open minded. Residential life staff can serve as a third party mediator in these discussions. At no time should it be assumed that simply because issues have arisen, a move can occur. Moves are the last choice we make. We want to instead encourage the growth in our students to work out issues and address concerns with each other.  Furthermore, space may not be available for a move. If however all other avenues have been attempted and no compromise can be made then either one or both students might be moved from their room or hall.

What are some things I should consider living with a roommate and sharing a space?

Sharing a living space can be a challenge for some. Here is a basic guide of some topics to discuss with your roommate: 

Sharing of Property

  • Do we share use of the television, DVD player, refrigerator? Do we share use of a computer?
  • If we both pitch in and split the cost of something in our room, what happens at checkout time or if one of us leaves school?
  • Is it allowed to borrow clothes?
  • What about letting other’s borrow your property without you in the room?
  • What about purchased food?
  • What about using your bed if you’re away for the night?

Telephone Etiquette

  • What time is too late to receive a phone call?
  • Does it bother you if I’m talking on the cell phone while you study?
  • If someone calls and you’re not in, where should I leave your messages?
  • If your phone line rings and you’re not in, should I answer it?


  • What about having guests in the room if one of us is ill, sleeping or trying to study?
  • How many guests at one time are acceptable in our room?
  • Do you have expectations of spending alone time in the room?
  • How do you handle same-sex overnight guests?
  • Are you comfortable with opposite sex guests visiting during intervisitation hours?

Room Condition

  • What are our expectations concerning neatness of our room?
  • How are cleaning duties going to be shared?
  • What a about damages to our room?

Additional Topics

  • Are you a morning or a night person? How will we work this out if we are opposites?
  • Talk about music (types, volume, when is it okay to play it?, etc.)
  • How are we going to handle disagreements?
  • What about room decorations, i.e. posters, setup, etc.
What about fire safety?

Residential Life, Campus Security and the University Facilities administration have taken many precautions to limit the danger of a fire in the residential halls, but the main responsibility falls on our students. All policies regarding fall safety should be adhered to at all times. Campus security does regular walk-throughs of our communities with a member of the River Forest Fire Department. In addition, please do not tamper with fire safety equipment and treat all fire alarms as if they are real.

What about tornadoes?

A “tornado watch” means that conditions are right for the possible formation of a tornado. A “tornado warning” means that a funnel cloud has been spotted and that shelter should be sought immediately. In the case of a tornado warning, hall staff or campus security officers will make rounds to notify students of the warning. The basement and tunnels are made available for shelter. Students should act immediately in seeking proper shelter, moving away from windows and seeking out interior rooms on the lowest level of the building. If response time is not available, students should move immediately to the hallway, shutting their room door, face the wall, and kneel, covering your head with your arms and hands. Oak Park and River Forest have an active tornado warning system siren, which if this goes off, students should act immediately. Remember that simply because the siren stops, students should not leave shelter until the all clear on campus is given which is the ringing of the chapel bell for two minutes or direction from campus security officers.

How can I prevent theft?

Theft is a relatively easy thing to prevent in our halls since most thefts occur due to a lack of attention by our residents. Always lock your room door and take your keys with you whenever you leave. Never lend your keys out to anyone else. Any guest in the hall should be escorted by their host. Do not leave your laptop, book bag, school books, or other personal items unattended in a non-secure location. Report any suspicious activity to campus security immediately.

What if something in my room breaks or needs repairs?

Concordia University Chicago has a long and wonderful history. Accordingly, so do many of our residential halls. With the addition of age we face many challenges within our halls. Although the university and our campus physical plant work hard to upgrade our facilities, sometimes, unexpected issues arise. If any damage should occur within your room you should immediately report this to your Resident Assistant or Resident Director. They will take note of the issue and relay this information to our physical plant director. Please be aware that at times, certain things need to be prioritized in addressing of issues. Physical Plant employees work hard to address any issues with immediacy and concern. If damage has occurred due to actions of a student, additional charges or penalties may apply.

What are community standards?

The Department of Residential Life at Concordia University Chicago is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the residential halls. We work to support our academic mission by creating environments that are supportive of the development of academic success. This is not something that can be done without the support and civility of our students. In a group living situation, guidelines exist to insure that we insure the rights and privileges of each member of our residential community. Students are expected to adhere to these standards. Any student that is found in violations of these standards will be directed through the Student Conduct Process as a result of their violation. In addition, the University and Residential Life have established policies for the residential halls. Not all issues that arise can be addressed by specific policy and therefore, community members should act in creating a policy together for their floor that will address an issue. This involvement is critical to the success of a community standards approach.

Who do I contact if I am dealing with an issue or problem?

Your resident assistant or hall staff members are always willing to assist with any issue that arises. Furthermore, they are able to make proper referrals to other services on campus for your assistance if they cannot help.