How to get to our world-class city
Native Chicagoans travel the interconnecting public transit lines of the "L" – short for elevated trains. The L runs on raised rail platforms throughout the downtown "loop" area to neighborhoods on the north, south and west. A couple of blocks away from campus you can hop on the Green Line L track. Twenty minutes later you are in downtown Chicago with plenty of opportunities to experience great music, theatre, food and shopping.
Besides taking the "L", students, faculty and staff use the Metra, which is another train line taking riders directly into the loop. The line running near campus is the Union Pacific / West Line (UP-W) Chicago to Elburn. By clicking here you will find an overview of services, plus maps, schedules, fares, ticket information, on-line ticketing and a regional travel guide.
- Take advantage of a free admission day at the Art Institute or the Museum of Science and Industry
- Go "out to the ball game" to watch the Cubs at Wrigley Field or the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field
- Ride the Ferris Wheel at Navy Pier
- Attend the free concerts at Millennium Park
- Shop on State Street or the Magnificent Mile
- Watch one of our famous downtown Chicago street parades
- Relax and people watch at Oak Street Beach
- Spend a day at Lincoln Park Zoo – it's free!
- Take advantage of CUC discounted theater performances at the Cadillac, Ford or Goodman theaters
- Get a bag of Garrett's famous cheddar/caramel popcorn mix