Early Childhood Education Center
Start your child’s learning journey today.
The Early Childhood Education Center (ECEC) at Concordia University Chicago is a Christ-centered community where children from birth to age 6 can learn and grow through project-based learning, social interaction, leadership, team discovery, physical play and expressive arts. The ECEC offers a strong academic foundation for your child integrated with a creative and spiritual experience unlike any other.
Our curriculum concerns the development of social, emotional, physical, cognitive, spiritual, language and literacy skills. We cultivate children’s curiosity, and cherish each of their individual, spirited personalities. We also nurture their bodies—students go outside several times a day, whether on the outdoor playground or the campus backyard. On rainy days, our indoor playground area features floor-to-ceiling windows and ample space to jump, move and climb.
Concordia University Chicago’s ECEC has a long tradition of providing the best learning experiences for children and keeping up with the most innovative approaches to education. The Reggio Approach, which states that children must be able to explore the world around them, guides our educational philosophy. This approach is partnered with project based learning in order to meet each child’s individual needs. We also offer:
- Low student-to-staff ratios
- Highly trained teaching staff, many with master’s degrees
- Partnership with the CUC College of Education
- Accredited by the National Lutheran School Association (NLSA)
- Accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children
Hands-on, inviting classroom settings make children of every age feel a part of the community. In our project-based curriculum, students and their classmates select a topic to learn about, and become young investigators. Our one-of-a-kind Project Studio allows students to create art and express themselves through various tactile experiences in order to develop fine motor skills and stimulate creative thinking.
HOW WE’RE DIFFERENT
Being connected with a well-established university sets the ECEC apart from other educational learning institutions in several ways, some of which include:
- Exposure to the University’s music and art departments
- Spiritual activities including bimonthly Chapel
- Once-a-week visits, for three and older classes, to the University dining hall for balanced meals and community time
- Access to campus-wide facilities for learning, exploring and daily exercise
- Enrollment through kindergarten, making the move from preschool upward a natural and stress-free transition