Thomas Von Hagel, PhD
College of Arts and Sciences
Professor of Theology
Dr. Von Hagel teaches courses in historical theology such as Patristics, Martin Luther and Women in Christianity. Among his research interests are Homiletic Series and the Book of Concord’s 1580 Dresden edition.
Prior to coming to Concordia, Dr. Von Hagel taught at West Virginia University and Concordia University College of Alberta. He has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2001.
- PhD, historical theology, St. Louis University, St. Louis, Mo.
- MDiv, pastoral theology, Concordia Theological Seminary, Ft. Wayne, Ind.
- BA, biology, Concordia University, St. Paul, Minn.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- Contributor, Lutheran Service Book Hymnal Companion, Concordia, 2010.
- “The Variant Printings of the 1580 Dresden edition of the Concordia according to the Verzeichnis der im Deutschen Sprachbereich Erschienenen Drucke des XVI. Jahrhunderts,” The Journal of Religious and Theological Information, 2010.
- “Post Supper Devotion,” Lutheran Education Journal, 2009.
- “The Purest and Simplest Sense of the Gospel,” Concordia Pulpit Resources, 2007-2008.
- “The Place of the Devil in Lutheran Catechesis,” Lutheran Education Journal, 2007.
- “A Preaching of Repentance: The Forty Gospel Homilies of Gregory the Great,” Homiletic, 2006.
- “Prayer, Meditation, Repentance Prepare the Preacher,” Logia, 2006.
- One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, Concordia, 2006.
- “Great is the Gift God Gives: The Seven Christmas Sermons of Johann Gerhard,” Lutheran Theological Review, 2004-2005.