O. John Zillman, PhD
Professor of Psychology
College of Arts and Sciences
Assistant Vice-President for Academics
Editor of the Lutheran Education Journal
Dr. Zillman primarily teaches courses in educational psychology to students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Among other courses, he most frequently teaches both Developmental Psychology of Middle Childhood and of Adulthood, a course in Affective Education and several others on an occasion. In addition, Dr. Zillman is the course coordinator and among the faculty who teach Diversity in American Society, which examines issues pertaining to race, social class and gender.
Among his research interests are the moral development of beginning teachers, the work of developmental psychologist Erik Erikson, classroom culture and the diversity of American society.
He also assists students with their in-classroom clinical observations, projects and papers. Dr. Zillman encourages students to do research in an area of interest to enhance their own learning experience. Additionally, he has been an advisor to psychology graduate students on their theses.
Dr. Zillman also serves as the editor of the Lutheran Education Journal, published by Concordia University Chicago, which is the oldest, continuously published education journal in North America. He has served as assistant director of field experience, director of educational and synodical placement, dean of the graduate school and chair of the Psychology Department. Dr. Zillman is also a member of the graduate school faculty with the College of Education and a professional educator in the College of Arts and Sciences. He has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 1989.
- PhD, curriculum and instruction/educational psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago; Chicago.
- MA, school counseling, Concordia College; River Forest, Ill.
- BA, education, Concordia Teachers College; River Forest, Ill.
- AA, liberal arts, Concordia College; Milwaukee, Wis.
Prior Academic/Professional Positions
- School Counselor, Walther Lutheran High School, Melrose Park, Ill.
- Fifth grade teacher, St. Paul's Lutheran School, Melrose Park, Ill.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- President, Association of Lutheran College Faculties, 2007-2009.
- Former President, Association of Lutheran College Faculties, 2008-2009
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development
- American Counseling Association