William Whiteside, PhD
College of Arts and Sciences
Assistant Professor of Chemical Biology
Natural Sciences and Geography
Dr. Whiteside teaches students at Concordia about virology, microbiology, bacterial genetics and molecular biology. Among his research interests are the role of S-nitrosylated thiols in redox sensitive enzymes and the effect that S-nitrosylthiols and thiols play in mediating the bactericidal properties of silver and silver ions.
Involved in student projects, Dr. Whiteside supervises Aqualytica, which is a community outreach water testing laboratory designed. It gives students the opportunity to serve community residents by providing analysis of local water samples and gaining real world experiences.
Other current projects of Dr. Whiteside are the determination of thiol mediated attenuation of the bactericidal properties of silver and silver ions on E. coli, the investigation of the structure of herapathite and the characterization of a novel activity staining method for peroxidases using guaiacol-impregnated agarose gel electrophoresis. He's been a member of Concordia's faculty since 2005.
- PhD, biochemistry, University of Illinois at Chicago; Chicago.
- BS, chemistry, Elmhurst College; Elmhurst, Ill.
- FF/II, Arlington Heights Fire Academy; Arlington Heights, Ill.
- EMT-P, Loyola Medical Center; Maywood, Ill.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- “Properties of Selected S-Nitrosothiols Compared to S-Nitrolos-WR1065” (with Young, P. Rubin, D.), Radiation Research, May 2002.
- “History of WMDs,” ACCA seminar, McCrone College of Microscopy; Westmont, Ill., April 2008.
- “Anthrax,” ACCA seminar, McCrone College of Microscopy; Westmont, Ill., April 2008.
- “Characterization of a Novel Activity Staining Method for Peroxidases Using Guaiacol-Impregnated Agarose Gel Electrophoresis” (with Kelly Carrasquillo), ACCA Student Symposium, Concordia University Chicago; River Forest, Ill., April 2008.
- “Determination of Thiol Mediated Attenuation of the Bactericidal Properties of Ag/Ag+ on E. Coli" (with Eva Katari), ACCA Student Symposium; Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., April 2007.
- “Investigation of the Structure of Heraphatite” (with Denisse Ramirez), ACCA Student Symposium, Concordia University Chicago; River Forest, Ill., April 2007.
- “Diffraction Enhanced Imaging for Articular Cartilage,” Biophysical Society Meeting; San Francisco, Calif., February 2002.
- “Properties of Selected S-Nitrosothiols Compared to S-Nitrolso-WR1065,” Brookhaven National Laboratory; Upton, N. Y., February 2002.
- “S-Transnitrosylation Mechanism of Cathepsin H Inhibition Using Novel S-Nitrosothiols,” Biophysical Society Meeting; Boston, Mass., February 2001.
- “S-Transnitrosylation Mechanism of Cathepsin H Inhibition Using Novel S-Nitrosothiols,” Northwestern University’s Department of Neonatology; Evanston, Ill., February 2001.
- “The Inhibition of the Cysteine Protease Papain Using Novel S-Nitrosothiols,” 20th Annual Midwest Enzyme Chemistry Conference, University of Chicago; Chicago, October 2000.
- “The Inhibition of the Cysteine Protease Papain Using Novel S-Nitrosothiols,” Rush University Department of Internal Medicine; Chicago, September 2000.