Yurimi Grigsby, PhD
Associate Professor of Curriculum, Language and Literacy
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Grigsby teaches Socially, Culturally, and Linguistically Diverse Students: Perspectives for Practitioners and Language and Linguistics in Concordia's College of Graduate and Innovative Programs. Among Dr. Grigsby’s areas of research interest are English as a second language, sociolinguistics, heritage language maintenance and loss, and online gaming as a situated, apprenticed and social activity. Before coming to Concordia, she taught Spanish and English as a second language in Tennessee. She has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2006.
- PhD, Literacy, Language and English as a Second Language. University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tenn.
- MAT, Secondary Education. East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tenn.
- BA, Spanish. East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, Tenn.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- "Developing the Literacy of Early to Intermediate Language Learners." Concordia University Chicago Reading Conference, River Forest, Ill., February 2011.
- "Instructional Strategies for Developing the Literacy of English Language Learners." Illinois Resource Center, December 2010.
- “The Importance of the Heritage Language in English Language Instruction.” Illinois Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Bilingual Education Conference, Naperville, Ill., February 2009.
- “The Heritage Language-Maintenance and Loss.” American Educational Studies Association, Savannah, Ga., October 2008.
- “Class Secrets: Uncovering Cultural Awareness on Campus.” Association of Educational Service Agencies, Savannah, Ga., October 2008.
- “What Schools Can Learn from Videogames.” Games+Learning+Society Conference, Madison, Wis., July 2008.
- “The Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Student in the Mainstream Classroom.” Concordia University Chicago, River Forest, Ill., January 2008.
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Illinois TESOL/Bilingual Education (IL TESOL/BE)
- Institute for Language Education and Policy
- American Education Research Association (AERA)
- American Educational Studies Association (AESA)
- Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE)