Daniel Tomal, PhD
Professor of Leadership
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Tomal teaches leadership and research courses in addition to supervision student dissertations and thesis. Among his research topics are leadership, discipline, action research and school improvement.
Active outside the University, Dr. Tomal has testified before the U.S. Congress, providing his expertise in leadership and education. He also has appeared on many national television shows including CBS This Morning, the 700 Club, Tom Snyder, Chicago Talks, and Cover to Cover. Dr. Tomal has consulted for numerous institutions, published nine books and over 100 research studies and journal articles. He has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 1995.
- PhD, Educational Administration and Supervision. Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio.
- MAE, Education. Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
- BS, Secondary Education. Ball State University, Muncie, Ind.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- School Change Management. Summer 2013 (Anticipated release date)
- How to Finish and Defend Your Doctoral Dissertation. Summer 2013 (Anticipated release date)
- Human Resource Management. Spring 2013 (Anticipated release date)
- Resource Management for School Administrators: Optimizing Fiscal, Facility, and Human Resources. R & L Education, 2013
- Action Research for Educators, 2nd Edition. 2010.
- Challenging Students to Learn: How to Use Effective Leadership and Motivation Tactics. 2007.
- Electronic Troubleshooting. 2003.
- Action Research for Educators. 2003.
- Discipline by Negotiation: Methods for Managing Student Behavior. 1999.
- Human Relations, Professional Development. 1997.
- Every Parent’s Nightmare: A Young Family’s Triumph over Their Son’s Critical Illness. 1993.
- “Helping Educators Change Student Behavior.” Illinois Administrators’ Academy, Chicago, May 2009.
- “Disruptive Student Management.” Chicago Principals and Administrators Academy, Chicago, 2008.
- “Leadership and Communications.” Illinois Administrators’ Academy, Chicago, 2008.
- “Elementary and Secondary Teacher Styles: A Correlational Study.” Illinois Association of Teacher Educator, Wheaton, October 2000.
- “Improving School Discipline.” National Council of Professors of Educational Administration, Jackson Hole, Wyo., August 1999.