Ardelle Pate, EdD
Associate Professor of Instructional Design and Technology
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Pate teaches Integrating Technology into the Curriculum, Critical Education Practice and the Internet, Using Technology Tools to Build Learning Communities, Visual Literacy, Educational Technology Leadership and Theoretical, Ethical, and Practical Foundations of Educational Technology graduate level courses at Concordia University Chicago. Her primary areas of research include examining how affective, cohesive and interactive behaviors impact one’s social presence within an online environment.
Prior to coming to Concordia, Dr. Pate served at Dominican University as an adjunct professor and as an English teacher for Lake Zurich School District 95. Dr. Pate has been a member of Concordia’s faculty since 2010.
- EdD, Instructional Technology. Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Ill.
- Distance Learning Certificate. University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis.
- MAEd, Instructional Technology. Kent State University, Kent, Ohio.
- MA, Education, Journalism, Administrative Type 75. Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, Ill.
- BA, English and Education. Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Ind.
Academic and Professional Highlights
- “Creating Social Presence Through Online Discussion Forums” (with Smaldino, S., Luetkehans, L., and Mayal, H.). Quartely Review of Distance Learning, 10(1).
- “Social Presence Within Discussion Forums.” Proceedings from ED-MEDIA Global Conference; Toronto, Ontario, 2010.
- "Social Presence Within Discussion Forums.” Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education, Charleston, S.C., 2009.
- “Creating Social Presence Through Online Discussion Forums.” Proceedings from AECT International Conference, Orlando, Fla., 2008.
- “Tailoring the Syllabus to Create Social Presence Within the Online Environment.” ED-MEDIA, Toronto, Ontario, 2010.
- “Social Presence Within Discussion Forum.” ISTE Conference, Charleston, S.C., 2009.
- “Questioning the Necessity of Non-academic Social Discussion Forums.” Global Distance Learning Conference, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wis., 2008.
- “Creating Social Presence Through Online Discussion Forums.” AECT Conference, Orlando, Fla., 2008.
Awards and Honors
- National Honors Society, 2008
- Magna Cum Laude, 2008