Andrew Tawfik, PhD
College of Graduate and Innovative Programs
Dr. Tawfik teaches courses in Concordia University Chicago’s College of Graduate and Innovative Programs. His primary areas of research are computer supported collaborative learning, case-based reasoning, problem-based learning, and human-computer interaction. He became a member of CUC faculty in 2012.
- PhD, Information Science and Learning Technologies. University of Missouri
- MIS, Master’s of Information Science. Indiana University
- BS, Management Information Systems. Bradley University
- Using Technology to Build Learning Communities
- Emerging Technologies
- Analysis and Logical Design
- Design and Implementation
Academic and Professional Highlights
- "Why Do We Fall? Using Experiences of Failure to Design Case Libraries." Tawfik, A.; D., Jonassen; C., Keene. International Journal of Designs for Learning. 2012, in press.
- "Human-computer Interaction Factors in Designing Educational Video Games." Tawfik, A., J. Moore, Z. He, N. Vo. Current Issues in Education, 15(3). 2012.
- “I Know This is Supposed to be More Like the Real World, But . . .” (Student Perceptions of a PBL Implementation in an Undergraduate Materials Science Course). Henry, H., A. Tawfik, D. Jonassen, R. Winholtz, S. Khanna. Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-based Learning, 6(1), 43-81. 2012.
- "Effectiveness of Introducing Problem-based Learning in the Undergraduate Curriculum." Khanna, S., R. Winholtz, D. Jonassen, A. Tawfik, H. Henry. Proceedings of the ASME International Conference IMECE2012 November 9-15, 2012, Houston, TX. 2012.
- "Iterative Usability Evaluation for an Online Educational Web Portal." Wang, X., B. Yadamsuren, A. Paul, D. K. Adkins, G. C. Laur, A. Tawfik, et al. International Journal of Multimedia Data Engineering and Management 1(4), 31-49. 2010.
Publications: Review Boards
- International Journal of Problem Based Learning
- Contemporary Issues in Education
- International Journal of Designs for Learning
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching
- "Introducing Problem Based Learning in the Undergraduate Engineering Curriculum." Tawfik, A., S. Khanna, R. Winholtz, D. Jonassen, A. Tawfik, H. Henry. Paper at the ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference, Houston, TX. Nov. 9-15, 2012.
- "How Learning from Failure Supports Problem Solving," (Featured Research Paper Selection). Tawfik, A., D. Jonassen, W. Keene, B. Richardson. Paper to be presented at Association for Educational Communications and Technology, Louisville, KY. Oct. 2012.
- "Using Wikis to Support Problem-Based Learning: A Case Study." Tawfik, A., H. Henry, D. Jonassen, R. Winholtz, S. Khanna. Paper to be presented at Association for Educational Communications and Technology, Louisville, KY. Oct. 2012.
- "Using Semantic Search to Reduce Cognitive Load in an Electronic Health Record." Tawfik, A., K. Kochendorfer, D. Saparova, S. Al Ghenaimi, J. Moore. Paper submitted to IEEE 13th International Conference on e-Health Networking, Applications and Services Conference 2011, Columbia, MO. 2011.
- "Making of a Mobile Surgeon App: Methods and Madness." Belden, J., J. Yesis, A. Tawfik, N. Current. Paper presented at Cerner Health Conference October 2011, Kansas City, MO.
- "Longitudinal Perspective of Web 2.0 System Adoption Using the Technology Acceptance Model." Tawfik, A., B. Richardson, F. Kibaru. Paper presented at the Association for Educational Communications and Technology November 2011 Conference, Jacksonville, Fl. 2011.
- "Collaborative Knowledge Building with Concept Maps." Cho. Y., N. Ding, A. Tawfik, O. Chavez. Paper submitted to be presented at the Association for Educational Communications and Technology November 2011 Conference, Jacksonville, Fl. Accepted 2011.
- "Design of Collaborative Concept Mapping Activities for Mathematics Pre-service Teachers." Cho, Y., N. Ding, O. Chavez, A. Tawfik, V. Wang, D. Jonassen. Paper presented at the American Education Research Association 2011 Conference, New Orleans, La. 2011.
- "Effectiveness of Problem-based Learning in a Materials Science Course in the Engineering Curriculum." Khanna, S., R. Winholtz, D. Jonassen, A. Tawfik. Poster presented at National Science Foundation Conference in Washington, DC. 2011.
- "Using Case-based Reasoning and an ASK System to Support Small Business Development Education." Dickson-Deane, C., H. Henry, G. Graber, A. Tawfik. Paper presented at AECT Conference, Anaheim, Cal. 2011.
- "Impact of Video Game Experience and Gender Differences upon Informal Learning with Educational Video Games." Tawfik, A., Z. He, N. Vo. Paper presented at the ADET Conference; Taiwan, China. 2009.
- Society for the Advancement of Management
- American Educational Research Association
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology