Self-Paced/Correspondence Study Policies

You may click on any of the words below to jump to that section:



Application for Self-Paced/Correspondence study may be made at any time during the year. 

A student registering for credit must either present a transcript of high school or college credits or have the registration form approved by the registrar or dean of the college accepting the credit. 

High school seniors, in their last semester of school, may enroll in some core curricular college courses (300 level) offered through Self-Paced/Correspondence study on a non-credit basis.  Their status will be changed to earning college credit in any of the enrolled Self-Paced/Correspondence study courses after successful completion of their high school program.

Admission to Self-Paced/Correspondence study does not automatically assure admission to work in residence.  A student desiring admission to the University must file application with the Admission Office.  Information concerning the regular academic year and the undergraduate bulletin describing courses and policies will be sent upon request; write to:  Undergraduate Admissions, Concordia University Chicago, 7400 Augusta Street, River Forest, Illinois 60305.

CREDIT (top)

Degree courses described in this bulletin parallel or are equivalent to courses with the same title and course number offered in day and evening sessions at Concordia University Chicago.  Self-Paced/Correspondence Study courses are considered resident credits.

The University operates on the semester system.  The unit of credit is the semester hour. 

A maximum of 36 hours credit by correspondence courses may be applied toward meeting graduation requirements at Concordia University Chicago.  Self-Paced/Correspondence course grades are counted in the calculation of a student's grade point average.

Self-Paced/Correspondence Study credit earned at Concordia is generally transferable to other accredited institutions; however, each institution establishes its own policy regarding the acceptance of correspondence credit and the amount of credit that can be applied toward its degrees.  Students planning to transfer credit earned by correspondence should check with that institution to ensure the credit will meet requirements.

No Self-Paced/Correspondence courses are offered for graduate credit.


Students enrolling in a Self-Paced/Correspondence course for the first time are advised to select a single course.  Once they have demonstrated self-discipline, initiative, and motivation required to pursue Self-Paced/Correspondence study successfully, they may register for additional courses.

All course requirements are to be completed within twelve (12) months from the date of registration.  One six-month time extension will be granted if application is made prior to the original termination date and accompanied by a $17 renewal fee. 


As a rule a three-hour course will vary between 12-20 assignments.  Usually a student can complete one assignment within six hours.

The purpose of Self-Paced/correspondence study is not primarily amassing of credit but rather the providing of an educational experience.  If the student is to receive maximum benefit from study, sufficient time must be allowed the instructor to evaluate the assignments.  The student should wait for the evaluation of his or her first assignment before submitting the second assignment.  However, unless requested otherwise by the instructor, the student may submit succeeding assignments as soon as they are completed, providing no more that one assignment is mailed on any one day.  A minimum of six weeks from the day the first assignment reaches the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study is allowed for completion of a Self-Paced/correspondence course.

All assignments and examinations should be completed three weeks prior to the date credit is desired.  Courses taken by seniors and applying toward graduation must be completed in time for grades to be submitted to the Registrar on the "grades due date" for the quarter in which one plans to graduate.  The course is to be recorded on the transcript during the semester in which the course is completed.

If credit for a course is needed by a certain date, ample time must be allowed for the processing of assignments, tests, and transcripts of credit.  In such cases it is advisable to inform the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study and the instructor of a special need.  Instructors will do all in their power to help students; however, they cannot obligate themselves to meet time schedules set by students for completing a course.  During vacation periods the return of assignments may be delayed due to the absence of the instructor or office personnel.  The Office cannot assume responsibility to meet graduation deadlines.

The Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study and the faculty make every effort to provide reasonable and prompt return of assignments.  If a student experiences delays of more than three weeks, the Office should be contacted.

Special requests, whatever their nature, should always be sent in a separate envelope.  Enclosing them with assignments will frequently result in considerable delay.


Assignments are to be sent one at a time via first class mail (required by postal regulations) to:

Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study
Concordia University Chicago
7400 Augusta Street
River Forest, Illinois 60305. 

"Postage due" mail will be charged to the student and, in cases of excessive amounts, will be refused.  The Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study will pay the postage on all mail sent to the student.  Overseas students are required to pay a $25 postage fee for airmail service.  This fee is refundable under the same conditions as tuition refunds.


To obtain credit, most courses require the student to complete mid-term and final examinations.

Students living near the University will be expected to take examinations at the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study.  When this is impractical, a pastor, school principal, or academic officer of the college you attend may be designated to proctor the examination.  The student should obtain the consent of this person before submitting proctor's name and address to the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study. 


The student's work is evaluated according to the following scale:

            A - Excellent; B - Good; C - Fair; D - Poor; F - Failure.

Good grades on the assignments should encourage the student, but they do not assure a satisfactory final grade.  Proctored examinations demonstrate the student's grasp of the course and are of great importance in computing the final grade. 

Self-Paced/Correspondence courses may be taken for a grade and credit; on a pass-fail basis for credit; or as non-credit courses, in accordance with the Undergraduate Catalog.  Registration for any of these systems may be changed by the student prior to submission of Assignment 3.

Grades on Self-Paced/correspondence courses will be submitted to the Registrar by the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study.  The student will be sent a grade report from the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study.


All fees for transcripts should be mailed directly to the Registrar's Office.

A transcript order is defined as a request for a transcript to each destination/address; each separate destination/address constitutes a separate order.  Up to two copies will be sent per order.  All students graduating or completing certificate programs will receive a free copy of their transcript with their diploma or certificate.  No charge is made for transcripts mailed directly to state certification boards with the application for certification.

Please note the following:

  • All financial obligations to the University must be fulfilled before any transcripts of certification will be issued.  (This includes outstanding tuition, library fines, etc.)
  • Over the counter requests are not available.
  • Telephone requests cannot be accommodated but faxed requests are acceptable.
  • In order to process your requests, the registrar’s office must have the following information:
    • Students’s complete name (both the student’s current name and the name under which the student was registered if different),
    • Social Security number,
    • Dates attended,
    • Number of transcripts needed,
    • Where transcripts are to be sent,
    • Valid signature,
    • Payment,
    • Transcripts are only released to individuals who earned the transcripted credits.
    • Payment must accompany each request.  (cash, check or money order made out to Concordia University Chicago, or credit card accepted)

Regular Transcript Order:  No Charge

Regular orders will normally be processed within 10 working days and will be sent via first class mail or may be picked up in person.

24-Hour Transcript Order: $10 per order

24-hour transcript orders will be processed within 24 hours of receipt of the written request.  Such transcript orders will be sent via first class mail or may be picked up in person.  Over-the-counter transcripts are not available.

24-Hour Overnight Express Order:  $25 per order

24-hour overnight express transcript orders will be processed within 24 hours of receipt of the written request; all efforts will be made to send orders out on the day received.  Such orders will be sent via overnight express through the institution's contracted shipping company.

24-Hour FAX Order:  $10 per order

24-hour FAX orders will be processed within 24 hours of receipt of the written request; all efforts will be made to send such orders on the day received.  A faxed copy (unofficial) will be sent as soon as possible followed by an official copy with 24 hours.

Credential File Orders

A Credential File includes information on student’s teacher education program and is maintained by the institution’s placement Office.  Credential file orders should be requested in writing to the Education/Synodical Placement Office.  Charges are as follows:

Copies 1-5:  Free of charge

Sixth copy: $10

Each copy thereafter:  $3 each


Most required textbooks and materials may be ordered through the Concordia Bookstore located on campus.  If a student does not receive his or her books within two weeks after ordering them, the Office of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study should be notified.

A book order form will be sent with course materials.  When a completed order form is received by the Bookstore, a bill will be sent to the student.  The student should then send a check.  To receive books earlier, students may call the Bookstore and charge books to  Mastercard or VISA.  Once payment or charge information has been received, books will be shipped to the student.

FEES (top)

The total tuition for a three semester-hour Self Paced/Correspondence Study course is:

  • $845 for the current academic year

Course fees are assessed and are payable at the time of registration. 

The fee for the six-month extension of time is $17.

All remittances by check or money order should be payable to Concordia University Chicago.  The University cannot be held responsible for cash sent in the mail.


If a course is dropped within 30 calendar days from the date of registration and no assignments have been completed, 80% of tuition is refunded.

If a course is dropped within 60 calendar days from the date of registration and no more than one-half of the course has been completed, 40% of tuition is refunded.

If a student desires to transfer the Correspondence registration to another course and no assignments have been completed within 16 calendar months of the date of initial registration for the course, a "Change of Self-Paced/Correspondence Study Registration Fee" of $17 will be charged.  Full course fee credit paid is made toward the new course registration.  Only one such transfer per original Self-Paced/Correspondence Course registration is permitted.  No other refund will be granted on this assessment.  No cash refunds will be paid on this transfer.

Registration in one course cannot be automatically transferred to another.  The student must follow the announced procedure for cancellation, pay the "Change of Self- Paced/Correspondence Study Registration Fee", obtain the refund transfer, and enroll in the new course.